Monday 1 August 2011

RSCON3

Where do I start?
I've just spent the sunniest weekend of the whole year inside, glued to my PC.
It had to be something fairly impressive to keep me in - and in fact it was - the  3rd Reform Symposium Conference online.
My plan was to dip in and out, listening to things that sounded interesting.
As anyone else who was there will tell you, that was not how it panned out! I spent most of the weekend moving from session to session, meeting old friends and making new ones along the way. My only regret is that I could only listen to so much. I'll be looking forward to watching the recordings when they are shared.
I left a workshop at my school on Friday afternoon and headed home. My first job was to share the link by email with the lady who had come over to the island to lead the workshop. She was delighted, and I crossed paths with her a few times over the course of the conference.
I then sat down with a cup of coffee, joined in my first session- and we were off.
My coffee went cold before I remembered it, which was a small price to pay, really.

As I said to @Vickyloras, the world is a really small place. At each session there must have been representatives from every continent.
It was great to catch up online with many of my PLN and to watch them confidently presenting and sharing ways to make us think about how to do our jobs better. Each of them gave us something of themselves, as well as little anecdotes and expertise.Beth Cagnol spoke a lot of sense when discussing behaviour in the classroom. Vicky Loras did a super session on Multiculturalism. Many others, too many to mention, gave me food for thought.
I particularly enjoyed the keynote sessions and the tech smackdown. This was my first event of its kind and I was impressed by the wealth of material I finished up with.
I'm already looking forward to the next RSCON with pleasure. With a bit more confidence, who knows, you might see me up there some time!

2 comments:

  1. Dearest Sue,

    I will echo your thoughts here - it was my first proper RSCON (meaning that, in the two previous ones, I saw only very few sessions, but in this one, I went from session to session, enjoying every single one of them and also the keynotes were amazing. I was sorry to miss some that I really wanted to see (that is why for RSCON4 I am absolutely taking three days off to see everything! With the help of caffeine : )

    Thank you for mentioning my session and I am so happy you liked it - it felt great when I "saw" you entering the room! It was my first virtual presentation and I can't wait to do it again! I truly hope to see you there next time presenting and we'll all be there to whoop whoop for you!

    See you face-to-face in November! Yay!

    Hugs,
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete